LOG708 Applied Statistics
A standard bachelor's level course in statistics is a highly recommended prerequisite. An intensive introduction (or fresh-up) course will be offered at the start of the semester.
Descriptive Statistics. Random variables and probability distributions. Samples and populations, estimation and inference. Confidence intervals. Testing of statistical hypotheses. Significance levels and P - values.
Methods: T – tests, Z – test for proportions, basic regression analysis, dummy variables in regression, nonlinear regression models, simple forecasting. Other statistical methods may also be discussed.
Gaining familiarity with a statistical package (e.g. Stata, SPSS or R) will be a central part of the course.
After finishing the course, the students should have knowledge and skills enabling them to do simple practical empirical work, using appropriate software tools. Specifically, the students should be able to
- use basic probability distributions for simple modeling and to find probabilities and moments
- use statistical software to effectively organize and present information extracted from data
- compute confidence intervals for central population parameters such as means, variances and proportions
- perform tests of statistical hypotheses regarding central population parameters
- perform simple and multiple regression analysis with statistical software
- give practical interpretations and present the results of statistical analyses in nontechnical terms
Two hours of lectures per week, two hours of exercises per week.(Optional)
|Mandatory coursework||Courseworks given||Courseworks required||Presence||Comment|
|Form of assessment||Grouping||Duration||Type of duration||Grading scale||Proportion||Comment||Supported material||Support material|
|School assessment||Individual||4||hours||Letter (A - F)||100||All printed and written supporting material + calculator that may contain data|
|Form of assessment:||School assessment|
|Type of duration:||hours|
|Grading scale:||Letter (A - F)|
|Support material:||All printed and written supporting material + calculator that may contain data|