IDR303 International Business of Sport
In this course on the international business of sport students will explore:
- The forces driving globalization, international business and sport;
- The cultural environments facing business;
- Types of strategy and the organization of international business;
- Approaches to value creation: global integration versus local responsiveness;
- Strategic positioning and branding;
- Managing international collaborations;
- International human resources management;
- Research tools in international business research and analysis.
This course is part of a throughline in research in the BSc in Sport Management. Description of throughlines available in the program description.
Upon completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Understand the global significance and the distinctive nature of the international business of sport;
- Evaluate industry structure, corporate strategy and value creation in the sports and sports-related industries;
- Identify factors affecting modes of international operation in the sports industry;
- Analyse the major causes of cultural differences and change;
- Explain the ideas of global integration and local responsiveness;
- Grasp why international collaborative arrangements succeed or fail;
- Illustrate the different ways how sport businesses can accomplish their global objectives;
- Apply and communicate this understanding to real cases and problems using appropriate international business theories.
Lectures and seminars. The course builds on team and individual projects that aim at synthesizing knowledge and understanding.
Lectures are generally accompanied by PowerPoint slides, textbook chapters and required readings. Main readings are from the following course books:
- Daniels, J.D., Radebaugh, L.H. and Sullivan, D.P. (2013) International Business. Environments and Markets, 14th ed., Harlow: Pearsons
- Söderman, S. and Dolles, H. (2013), Handbook of Research on Sport and Business, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
Additional readings are provided when appropriate.
|Obligatorisk arbeidskrav||Antall arbeidskrav||Påkrevde arbeidskrav||Fremmøte||Kommentar|
|Oppgave(r)||Ja||Required||Mandatory team assignment(s) during the course, where everybody is expected to participate. The team work’s final presentation has to be presented in class. Students receiving a “Fail” on the team assignment(s) are not eligible to take the final course exam.|
|Comment:||Mandatory team assignment(s) during the course, where everybody is expected to participate. The team work’s final presentation has to be presented in class. Students receiving a “Fail” on the team assignment(s) are not eligible to take the final course exam.|
|Skriftlig skoleeksamen||Individuell||5||Timer||Bokstavkarakter||60||Kun generell ordbok morsmål/norsk/engelsk i papirformat|
|Hjemmeeksamen||Gruppe||-||Bokstavkarakter||40||Alle trykte og skrevne hjelpemidler|
|Form of assessment:||Skriftlig skoleeksamen|
|Type of duration:||Timer|
|Support material:||Kun generell ordbok morsmål/norsk/engelsk i papirformat|
|Form of assessment:||Hjemmeeksamen|
|Type of duration:||-|
|Support material:||Alle trykte og skrevne hjelpemidler|